WhatsApp has recently launched its most awaited feature in the version 2.18.41 for Android users and 2.18.21 for iOS users. The payment option uses the UPI interface which is regulated by the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) through its payment subsidy NPCI. As of now as many as 72
banks are live on UPI.
What is WhatsApp Payment?
– WhatsApp payment is a peer to peer transfer system. Here there is no option to send money to any merchant rather to a person who is connected to WhatsApp using their cell number. Which in turn is connected to bank account and UPI. Therefore there is no need to enter VPA(Virtual Payment Address) or bank account number or IFSC code.
Prerequisite for WhatsApp payment:
– Both users should be using WhatsApp.
– Both users should be having latest version of WhatsApp in which UPI system is enabled.
– The WhatsApp number which you used to sign in WhatsApp should be same in the bank account details.
Top 10 Countries With Largest Hindu Population
WhatsApp Payment Setup Procedure:
– Open Whatsapp
– Tap on three dots from top right corner
– Tap on the settings
– Below Notification option you will see “Payments” option, tap on it
– The next screen asks to select “Accept And Continue”, tap on it
– Next tap on “Verify Via SMS”
– It will send an SMS and verify your identity
– Next you will see a list of UPI supported bank account names. It will show in a format where there will be bank name followed by last 4 digits of your bank account number
– In case you do have multiple accounts with same bank it will show multiple account numbers. Select the one which you would like to link with
– Now the App will show the Bank Account Number and its shows Setup is complete.
WhatsApp Payment- How to send Money?
– Open chat with anyone to whom you want to send money.
– Tap on the “Clip” icon from bottom right.
– It will show “Payment” option. Tap on it.
– Now you can enter the amount and can also include personal message and send it(Provided the other user also has UPI setup done on WhatsApp)
– It will ask for 4 digit PIN number for verification.
– If everything entered is correct you will receive the acknowledgment from the bank via SMS.
You can also keep track of money sent and received from the Payment history option.
Do keep in mind that this option is still hasn’t been enabled for most users.
If you find this article helpful or has already setup your UPI in WhatsApp and sent or received money please share your experience below.