Tips to Increase Google Adsense Revenue (As suggested by Google Itself):
1. Opt for text & image ads.
according to google, this will lead to large ad inventory for your site
and google can select the best text or image ad suitable for your webpage.
2. In google webinar for AdSense publishers it was suggested that:
a) the middle, above the fold location performs best for ads. (try 300*250)
b) if you usually write long articles then the bottom of article is a good place to show ad.
try 300*250 as (text + image ad) or try 336 *280 as text only ad
Note: Apart from this, if you want to show ad at the top of website then i suggest try 728 * 90
3. Consider Your Content When Adding New Adsense Units
be creative and aesthetic while adding ads in your site.
the ads should merge with your content and should not spoil the user experience.
4. Opt-in to Placement Targeting
Placement targeting allows AdWords advertisers to choose specific ad placements in your site
and most probably, you will get more revenue per click.
5. Use Link Units on Pages with 3 Adsense units in a page.
(these link units give some extra revenue but not always suit in every website design)
6. Display Google Search Box at a very prominent place in your website.
the best place to display search box is top left corner of page.
you can display maximum 2 google search box in a page.
7. Create Custom Channels for your google adsense units
so that you can track the performance of your google adsense units
and optimize the adsense units which are not performing well.
8. Use the best performing google adsense units
e.g. 728 * 90 (Leaderboard), 160 * 600 (Wide Skyscraper) and 300 * 250 (Medium Rectangle)
as a thumb rule, wider google ads perform better.
(i suggest consider 336 * 280 ad for “text only” ads.
otherwise use 300 * 250 ad for “text & image” ads.)
Other Tips to increase Google Adsense revenue
1. Don’t blindly implement Google suggested tips on adsense.
e.g. most of the time 728 * 90 is a better performing adsense unit than 468 * 60 ad unit.
but in certain webpage layouts 468 * 60 might work better than 728 * 90 ad unit.
so basically one has to use his mind to see which ad unit is more suitable in my website.
2. Study the Heat map and consider using Crazy egg tool to know the best ad location in your website.
basically, you have try different layouts for few months and find out which website layout and google adsense units gives best performance. frankly speaking, you have to experiment to find what suits your site.
3. more traffic means more click.
so post good content and give better user experience on your site.
don’t place the ads in such a way that it irritates the user.
Now here you have two Strategies to follow:
a) you don’t care about returning visitors
and you just want to get more adsense clicks as you think most of your site traffic is via google.
this strategy is like a typical tea stall in a railway station…
where the stall owners knows that most of his clients are new and are one time visits only.
most people who follow this stradegy display ads at the top of page (because it gets maximum attention from readers) and they also display ads within the post (mostly at the starting of the post).
you definitely get more clicks, but you lose building subscribers and no one shares your post
as readers are in a hurry to leave the site, forget about promoting the site !!!.
b. or you give a better user experience and want to have returning visitors
presenting a good website also leads to more sharing of your post by readers via Facebook, twitter etc
this strategy is like drinking tea/coffee in cafe coffee day
(i go for second strategy. moreover Google approach to rank websites promote the sites which are giving good user experience and less bounce rate. and this is the way search engines are evolving.
4. Don’t forget the new Google update on penalizing the sites showing more ads above the fold than content.
5. choose your niche and focus on it.
if your post is not focused on a certain keyword
then Google might face problem in displaying the correct adsense for your content.
a) For Google Content is critical to ad targeting
so write content rich articles focused on some keyword.
b) Google also suggest to use Section Targeting to highlight important content in your page to Google.
c) build your site reputation with Google on a certain niche.
this will attract good ads in your site for that particular niche.
(for this write post on that niche regularly, get links from related sites and do not deviate from your niche)
6. find out which keywords are high paying keywords in your niche
and focus more on writing post in these high paying keywords.
7. Create a good Adsense unit
a) Most of the cases, the best performing ad unit color blends with your site background.
e.g. border and background of Ad Unit color should be same as your site background color.
b) Use Same font for Ad Unit as you are using for your links in your site.
8. Study the big sites like economictimes.indiatimes.com, thehindu.com, CNN.com or other big sites because big sites generally have staff to optimize their adsense revenue and you will get some new idea to display adsense units.
9. Integrate Google Analytics with your Adsense to study how your pages are performing in terms of revenue versus traffic.
at adsense home page, google share link to tutorial for connecting google analytics with adsense account
10. Check Google Adsense Sandbox Tool to know which ads are displayed in your site at other countries.
i generally Block categories in Google Adsense which are not performing well.
(categories which have high page impression but are giving low revenue).
NOTE: It is believed that the highest paying ad in a page is the one which comes first in your page.
so some people suggest that show less ads in your page so that Google display best ad in your page.
but I don’t agree with this tip and i go with Google suggestion to display more ads.
at the same time, you can sacrifice a Google adsense unit to show affiliate banner if you are making money via affiliates or to make the user experience better.
Its good that you read till here and you know these facts but the biggest tip is to experiment keeping this facts in your mind.
Are you satisfied with all the above information. Please, do share your personal experience.